Aidan O’Connell, an excavation director with Archaeological Consultancy Services Ltd (ACS Ltd), reports on prehistoric and medieval sites currently being excavated at Castlefarm, Co. Meath.
Aidan O’Connell, excavation director with Archaeological Consultancy Services Ltd, reports on the excavation of a unique post enclosure at Lismullin, Co. Meath, which was recently declared a National Monument.
New Routes to the Past: Archaeology and the National Roads Authority Monograph Series No. 4
ISBN 978-0-9545955-3-1/ ISSN 1649-3540
Edited by Jerry O’Sullivan and Michael Stanley, this monograph contains the proceedings of a seminar on recent archaeological discoveries on national road schemes held in the Chester Beatty Library in August 2006.
Read more: Roestown 2
Medieval Archaeology, vol. 52, 2008, p. 367-373
The village of Lusk is located approximately four miles north of Swords on the Dublin to Skerries road. It is perhaps best known as the site of an early medieval monastic foundation, reputedly founded during the 5th century AD by the saint MacCuillinn, whose obit was recorded in the Annals of Ulster in AD 496 or 498 (AU 498).
- O'Connell, A. 2004 'Recent archaeological investigations at Kill St. Lawrence, Waterford, carried out as part of the realignment of the R708 Airport road'. Decies, Vol. 60. 27-64.
- O'Connell, A. 2006 'The many lives of Castlefarm' in Seanda. No. 1, 19-21.
- O'Connell, A. 2007 'The elusive Iron Age' in Seanda. Issue 2. 52-55.
- O'Hara, R. 2007 'Roestown Revealed: an excavation on the M3 Clonee to north of Kells in J. O'Sullivan and M. Stanley (eds.) New Routes to the Past. Archaeology & The National Roads Authority. Monograph Series No. 4. 143-153. National Roads Authority. Dublin.
- O'Hara, R. 2008 'Collierstown, Co. Meath' in Medieval Archaeology, Vol. 58, 367-373
- O'Connell, A. 2009 'Excavations at Church Road, and the early monastic foundation at Lusk, Co. Dublin' in C. Baker (ed.) Axes, Warriors and Windmills. Recent archaeological discoveries in Fingal. 51-63. Fingal County Council.
- O'Connell, A. 2009 'Castlefarm' in M3 Interim Monograph. NRA
- O'Connell, A. 2009 'Lismullin' in M3 Interim Monograph. NRA
- O'Hara, R. 2009 'Collierstown 1' in M3 Interim Monograph. NRA
- O'Hara, R. 2009 'Dowdstown 2' in M3 Interim Monograph. NRA
- O'Hara, R. 2009 'Roestown 2' in M3 Interim Monograph. NRA
In 2009, Archer Heritage Planning provided short information articles on the heritage and archaeology of Fingals towns and villages for the Fingal Independant.
These can be accessed through the following links: